Attention 5th Grade Parents:Due to school being cancelled until May 1, and uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 situation, the decision has been made to cancel the 5th Grade Experience trip to Chicago. We have made contact with the travel agency and they are working on getting us details and a refund timeline. We will continue to update the PTO website as we receive information. Please be patient; the travel agency is dealing with an unprecedented amount of cancellations, so at this time we are just sitting tight and waiting to hear back.Thanks, and stay safe!5th Grade Experience Planning Committee
“Sights & Sounds of Chicago”
Monday, May 11, 2020
As preparations begin for middle school, we would like to take an opportunity to give our 5th graders a chance to celebrate their accomplishments at Crooked Creek! This year’s 5th Grade Experience will be a day trip on Monday, May 11th to experience the sights, sounds (and tastes!) of Chicago.
We will depart early in the morning on motorcoach buses and return late in the evening. All of the day’s activities, transportation, entrance fees, meals, snacks and a trip t-shirt are included.
See below for additional trip details and important information regarding:
We’ll kick off the the day at the Museum of Science and Industry – the world’s most popular museum – experiencing several exhibits, including the Apollo 8 spacecraft. The students will have lunch and spend free time at Navy Pier. From the pier they will board the Chicago Architectural River Cruise, learning about the history of Chicago and its significant architecture. After the river cruise, the students will experience Chicago architecture in person, traveling to the Skydeck at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower, at one time the tallest building in the world), then on to dinner at a Chicago legend: Giordano’s, famous for stuffed pizza!
Download a copy of the itinerary here.
(please note that this timeline is subject to change)
- 6:45 am: Depart Crooked Creek; breakfast on bus
- Museum of Science & Industry
- Lunch and free time at Navy Pier
- Chicago Architectural River Cruise
- Skydeck at Willis Tower
- Dinner at Giordano’s
- Depart for home
- 11:00 pm: Arrive back at Crooked Creek
We need all hands on deck to make this a memorable experience for our students! Complete the form below to be notified of upcoming volunteer opportunities and fundraising committee meetings as they arise. Click here to volunteer for specific fundraising dates and activities
To be a chaperone, you’ll need to fill out a background check for the district if you haven’t already for 2019-2020 school year at: www.msdwt.k12.in.us/volunteer-requirements . You’ll also need to register yourself and your child on the Educational Destinations website (see Financial Information below). Trip fees for chaperones are the same as for students.
Click here to volunteer for specific fundraising dates and activities. If you have fundraising ideas, or would like to participate in a Fundraising Committee, please fill out the “volunteer” form above. Thank you!
Planned fundraising activities
Watch for additional details sent home via backpack mail and in Sunday Announcements:
These fundraisers earn directly towards your child’s trip fee (or yours, as a chaperone!) Please allow up to a week after completion of each campaign for credit to show on your Educational Destination account.
- Butter Braids – You receive $6 towards your trip fee for each $15 pastry sold. Sell as little or as much as you’d like of these delicious, frozen pastries: sell 10 items, receive $60! Campaign runs Feb 10-24 ; order forms coming in backpack mail next week.
- Snap Raise – This is an online fundraising platform that uses email, social media and text messaging to raise funds. The campaign will run Feb 12 through Mar 11; details coming home in backpack mail next week.
- Crew Carwash Coupons – Mar 1-31. This is an online fundraiser, and will contribute to both the group fundraising AND individual trip fees! (Watch for additional details and information coming towards the end of February)
Group fundraisers contribute towards the 5th Grade Experience as a whole. These funds can help bring down the price of the trip for all travelers, as well as pay for t-shirts, bus snacks and our graduation celebration.
- Paint-A-Panel – Feb 1. For $10/panel, students are invited to paint a drywall panel on the temporary walls lining the back hallways – paintings will remain up through the rest of the year! (Watch for additional dates to be added!)
- Valentine Candy Grams – Orders taken Feb 3-7. For $1, your message and a special Valentine candy will be delivered to your friends, teachers or staff on Feb 14th.
- Open Gym – date tbd
- Other Misc Fundraising:
- Popcorn Fridays – $1 popcorn sold at lunch, every Friday!
- Bingo Night snack table – Jan 16
- Math & Science night snack table – Apr 23
- Spirit Bracelets – $5 each; sold during Popcorn Fridays, while supplies last
- St Patrick’s Day necklaces – $1 each, sold during lunch Mar 16-17
- Restaurant Night at Puccini’s – Mon 3/16
5th Grade Experience receives 20% of food & beverage purchases; just present this flyer when you pay!
- College Colors Day – $1, kick off March Madness and dress in support of your favorite college team! Thurs 3/19
All of the day’s activities, transportation, entrance fees, meals, snacks and a trip t-shirt are included in the tour price. Each family will be responsible for making payments directly to Educational Destinations.
To be a chaperone, you’ll need to fill out a background check for the district if you haven’t already for 2019-2020 school year at www.msdwt.k12.in.us/volunteer-requirements. You’ll also need register yourself and your child on the Educational Destinations website (see below for instructions). Trip fees for chaperones are the same as for students.
To create your account online:
- Go to www.educationaldestinations.com
- Click “LOGIN” in the upper right corner
- Select “New User”
- Fill out contact information
- Select “Register a Traveler”
- Enter trip number: 2005-11-82
- Add Traveler/Travelers
- Select “Make a Payment” to Pay Deposit via credit card, debit card or e-check by logging into your online account.
- If you prefer, you may write a paper check payable to Educational Destinations (please list traveler’s name and trip number 2005-11-82 on the memo line) and mail it to: Educational Destinations, 5348 W. Vermont Street, Suite 200, Indianapolis, IN 46224
Trip Payment Schedule
- Non-refundable deposit: $50.00 due February 20, 2020
- Installment: $100.00 due March 20, 2020
- Final Payment: Balance ($49-70) due April 20, 2020
- Please note: any funds earned by fundraising opportunities to offset trip costs will be accounted for in the Final Balance due amounts.
Other Important Links
- 5th Grade Experience Chair: Amy Mehall, email@example.com
- Fundraising Committee: Amy Mehall, Jenn Maple, Kelly Rude
- Tour Questions: Emily Ward, Emily.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial Questions: Lyndee, Barbara, or Robin
- General Information:
- Website: www.educationaldestinations.com
- Address: 5348 W. Vermont Street, Suite 200 Indianapolis, IN 4622
- Phone: 800.616.1112
- Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm Eastern Time
Closed Saturday & Sunday